Friday, November 6, 2015

#NaBloPoMo Day 6: My biggest fear as a child

NaBloPoMo November 2015


This blogging challenge seems to be bringing all my secrets out. First it was my childish dreams of being a school teacher when I grow up and now talking about my biggest fears as a child!

As children, I don't think we fear failure or other serious things in life. I remember the fear of darkness and ghosts to be the strongest as a child. I would be scared if the electricity went off suddenly - which was a common thing in Bangalore, where I grew up. Since I am the youngest in the family, I thankfully had elders in my family reassuring me that there's nothing to be scared and they were around.

I don't know how and where kids get the notion of ghosts from, but that was the second thing I was scared of. The thought that something that isn't alive could be lurking around scared the daylights out of me. I remember that there was a thriller series on TV at 10pm and I had watched the first episode. It was about a fort where people went in and came back with hand prints on their back even though they hadn't met anyone there. Spooky? I was so scared that I was put to sleep before 10 on the day of the program.

Have those fears gone? Not entirely. I still prefer to have a little light on at night if I am in a new place. It's just reassuring to know my way around the place. I am fine in my own house since I know the place. Also, I steer clear of all kinds of spooky things - even movie trailers with 'ghostly' content. It's just not something I want to watch/hear or read about because I know it will disturb be later.

Well! It wasn't exactly fun revisiting my fears. And I think this is quite a personal post compared to the kind of things I write about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Self-Help books: How Much So They Help The Self?

 I just finished reading The ONE Thing - a book that tells you how focussing on that one critical thing - on thing at a time - you can achie...