Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Day 2: When was the last time you did something brave?

Being brave is letting go and taking the plunge! (Photo credit)
For today's post, I decided to use the official prompt for the challenge - when was the last time I did something brave? Hmm... I think bravery at a personal level is a subjective term. Unless it's universally accepted brave deeds like saving a baby from a tiger or jumping out of a burning building. In the subjective sense, stepping out of the house for a conservative woman is brave. Finally finding the courage to ask your crush out is brave. Or a child learning to walk despite all the falls is brave. Yes, it is. Just that the baby just doesn't know it!

So one thing is for sure - being brave involves doing something we haven't done ever. It is definitely stepping out of our comfort zone. It is like being exposed and naked in your actions - probably for everyone to see. Although, it could also be a private moment of pushing our own boundaries. I also feel that the definition of bravery has changed in the recent times. It is ok to tread the path less taken and be a pioneer of new thoughts. It is also a great time for women to be brave. There are a whole lot of initiatives helping us untie the knots of stereotypes and step out of patriarchal boundaries. And believe me, there is no dearth of conventions we are supposed to follow as women. From what we wear to how we behave - there's a judging glance everywhere if we step out of line.

I don't think being brave would have made any sense to me even a few years ago. I am surprisingly a conformist - although some may find this surprising about me - and have always followed rules, kept up with deadlines. So sometimes even a slight deviation feels like being brave. Having lived in the unsafe capital of India, Delhi, it still feels brave to be out after 8 or 9 pm even in Mumbai. It's just that the timelines of being back home are so strongly ingrained that it still feels odd to stay out late by myself. It sounds crazy but the mind is a strange thing and sometimes you just can't beat it!

This post required a bit of bravery to write since there are only a handful brave things I have done in my life. Talking about them seems quite personal. Giving up the comfort of a 9-5 job was itself a brave step for me. After training corporates for 6 years as a freelancer, starting my own company was a brave thing to do - since it took months of time and effort to build my online presence. I could never go back to functioning like an individual trainer who accepted whatever came my way. I had to be the agency that initiated action and have an identity of what I do!

The first blogging workshop - Blog Like Suman - in Mumbai
But the most recent thing that I have picked up is about a year old - yes, that's recent! I started a series of workshops on blogging for beginners last December. It was on a whim since I wanted to do something before the year ran out. There was enough talk on social media about what I do, it was time for some action. I wanted Soft Skills Studio to be seen doing what I claimed I was good at - train people. I picked up blogging since that has always been a passion and I learnt so much when I set up my work blog in 2014. (Unlike simpler times in 2009 when this blog was set up) I wanted to share all those insights with people. It wasn't a run away success the first time. Or the second time. I incurred the expenses for most workshops since the participation wasn't even enough to cover the costs. But I kept at it and the 4th workshop this year finally turned the tables and yielded a positive margin for the business.
The most recent one in October which saw women in full force!
Through the years I have learnt that you can try and might fail. But if you don't try, you'll definitely fail. I know that this sounds quite cliche. But I don't think I'd have achieved anything, learnt all the valuable lessons and felt confident for the future if I hadn't taken that plunge. Being brave may not benefit all the time but it definitely keeps our adventurous spirit going. And that's what is important.

Have you done something brave lately? I'd love to hear about them to reassure myself that I wasn't the only one attempting things that seemed so stupid at that time. I'm waiting to hear from you.

This post is a part of #NaBloPoMo hosted by BlogHer where I will write one post everyday this month.


6 comments:

  1. Wow! That indeed is brave and you've come a long way.
    Have I done anything brave? I should think about what qualifies as brave here! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brave, to me is whatever involves stepping out of our comfort zone. I am sure if you look around you will find that you have already crossed boundaries.

      Delete
  2. keep at it! the more you scare yourself and get out of your comfort zone, the more you'll grow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to know about you through this post. Yes, bravery depends entirely on individual. For me, participating in a debate for the first time was bravery, talking in a conference in public was bravery as i was an introvert once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! Brave means different to different people! :)

      Delete

Self-Help books: How Much So They Help The Self?

 I just finished reading The ONE Thing - a book that tells you how focussing on that one critical thing - on thing at a time - you can achie...